The differential is a device that splits the engine torque two ways, allowing each output to spin at a different speed. Differentials are found on all current cars and trucks and are necessary in transferring power from the engine to the wheels and thus move your car forward. This is a crucial component of your vehicle’s ability to move efficiently.
Some indicators of Differential Failure are:
- Whirring noises or a howling sound while accelerating or decelerating
- Rumbling or whirring at speeds over about 20mph.
- Regular Clunking
- A rumbling feeling when turning
- Steady vibration that increases with the car’s speed
- Clunking when starting to move.
If you car is experiencing any of these symptoms, action should be taken now to prevent further damage to your car.