The Most Important Things You Need to Know About Your Transmission
To keep your transmission in a state of peak performance, there are certain things you need to know about your transmission and its maintenance to avoid costly transmission repairs down the road. Read the following tips carefully and ask yourself if it’s time to have your transmission serviced:
- It is a myth that an automatic transmission does not need servicing. As with a manual transmission, certain maintenance servicing must be performed at regular intervals on automatic transmissions to avoid costly repairs.
- Your vehicle needs a transmission flush every two years. The transmission filter must be changed every 12 months or 12,000 miles.
- A decrease in gas mileage may indicate a transmission problem.
- If your vehicle is commonly operated areas of rough terrain, engaged in four-wheel driving or periodic towing, you must have your transmission serviced more frequently than specified above.
- If your vehicle will be used for towing an excessive amount of weight or engaged in long period time of towing, you should consider installing an external transmission oil cooler to reduce the increased temperature of the transmission fluid that is caused by the strain put upon the transmission.
- Do not rest your foot on the clutch when driving as doing so will wear it out prematurely.
- Avoid downshifting to brake as this make clutch repair sooner than necessary.
If you suspect a problem with your vehicle and need expert diagnostics or transmission repair in Salt Lake City, contact the qualified automotive team of the Transmission Man in Salt Lake City, UT, at (801) 467-6626 to receive superior service at a fair price. We have been in business for over 30 years, because no automotive center knows more about transmissions than the Transmission Man team.